“Software Testing is a Sport like Hunting; it’s Bug Hunting” - Amit Kalantri
The Software Development Life Cycle encompasses various phases and activities which are executed by specific personnel. Under the conventional traditional models of Software Development, each of the phase was kept discreet from each other as there was undue pressure to provide for continuous deployment, integration and delivery.
However, the emergence of the Agile model and the DevOps culture resulted in the need to blur the lines between the development and the testing phases. This provided for shooting the demand for professionals who were at once capable of writing as well as testing codes.
Such expertise and skills, sum up the idea of SDET Roles and Responsibilities. So what are the roles and responsibilities of a Software Development Engineer in Test? How do Senior SDET Roles and Responsibilities help in pushing business growth and productivity? Let us find out.
In this blog, we shall look at the Responsibilities of a Software Development Engineer in Test. Moreover, these activities shall be sought to be discussed under different heads like: Senior SDET Roles and Responsibilities, QA SDET Roles and Responsibilities as well as SDET Lead Roles and Responsibilities.
What is SDET?
SDET or Software Development Engineer in Test can be seen as someone who embodies the skills and expertise of a developer as well as a tester.
Thus, by way of being able to write as well as test codes, they happen to be engaged in the development as well as the testing phases of the SDLC.
In short, they are IT professionals who are competent in Software Development, as also Quality Engineering.
If you wish to acquire a detailed understanding of this professional personnel, do read our blog on “SDET Meaning: The Future of Software Testing”
SDET Roles and Responsibilities: An Overview
A generalized view of an SDET's professional responsibilities
SDETs happen to be involved in data design, product design as well as user interfaces. This is because they embody engineering skills as well.
SDETs should be adept at Automation Testing, in setting up Test Automation Frameworks, in choosing the right kind of Test Automation Tools, in developing suitable Test Cases, and in doing so on multiple application platforms.
SDETs seek to understand the requirement of a product from the perspective of the consumers. Thus, they act as customer spokesperson.
A Software Development Engineer in Test possess coding knowledge and this helps them in writing automated test scripts which helps in conducting different kinds of tests in the software development process.
They are required to have exceptional testing skills as they are involved in test automation tool development, along with building high quality and robust test automation solutions for performance, functional and regression testing.
- SDETs possess the technical skills for building, customizing, deploying and managing test automation framework.
- SDETs are expected to execute debugging activities with perfection. Thus, they should be able to get at the root cause of a test breakdown, ineffective code, memory leakage and so on.
- As a link between those who make and those who use the product, SDET are responsible for investigating customer issues and problems which are referred by the technical support team.
- They work in close collaboration with the deployment team. In such capacity, they coordinate on product design, resolve system issues as well as provide inputs on the testability of functional elements and product design.
- SDETs help in developing Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Deployment (CD) pipelines. These pipelines entail a lot of testing, with different test suites which are optimized to provide for good test coverage and quick developer feedback. SDETs are competent in creating these optimized testing stages.
- SDETs are involved in architectural design discussions and help in providing effective feedback.
- SDETs are responsible for conducting research on test data and test tools including test automation tools, methodologies and trends and accordingly upgrading existing practices.
- Their technical skills include deep understanding of Behaviour Driven Development.
- They are countable for managing quality on production release in the software development process.
- SDETs help prepare test reports.