“As Ironic as it seems, the Challenge of a Tester is to Test as Little as Possible. Test Less, but Test Smarter” - Federico Toledo
Since technology is ever evolving and ever changing; the IT industry is marked by continuous inflow of new trends and waves. One such area which keeps on being heavily affected as a result of technological changes, is that of Software Testing. This has been most vividly visible in the domain of software design, software development, software delivery and so on. For instance, one of the raging Trends in Software Testing in 2014 was that of mobile app testing; while that in 2015 was that of scriptless testing. As the emphasis shifted on mobile friendly websites, mobile web testing became one of the predominant Software Testing Trends in 2016. Some of the factors like cost optimization, digital transformation market responsiveness and so on, became the dominant concerns which began to shape Software Testing Market Trends.
In this blog, we shall look at the Top 10 Software Testing Trends 2022. The list is definitely not exhaustive, but it would cover the current trends in Software Testing in line with the Software Testing Industry Trends.
10 Latest Trends In Software Testing This Year
Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- This is perhaps one of the most discussed Trends in Software Testing of current times.
- The application of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning in the field of Software Testing, is still in a nascent stage. However, the hype around the way in which these technologies could revolutionize testing is already evident.
- In the field of Software Testing, AI seeks to make use of automation through ML for delivering better results.
- AI/ML algorithms help in the generation of improved test cases and test scripts. Moreover, it helps in the generation of test data which is specific to the modules of the application under test.
- As one of the crucial emerging trends in Software Testing, Artificial Intelligence can prove to be useful in detecting any loopholes in testing and predicting test coverage even before the execution of the test.
Agile and DevOps
- This is one of those Software Testing Trends which has been an ongoing process for quite some time.
- While the Agile model has largely been an answer to the challenge of responding to swiftly changing requirements; DevOps is seen as an answer to the demand for speed.
- The Agile model encompasses faster product life cycles, small autonomous teams and quicker releases of products. Moreover, it is all about continuous integration, faster delivery and frequent deployments. The underlying principle is to promote user satisfaction.
- The DevOps culture is based on the idea of bringing the Development and the Operations team together. It covers rules and practices which help to promote collaboration and integration of activities between the two teams.
- DevOps is seen as a viable solution to organizations which are seeking to shorten the span of software lifecycles from development to operation to delivery.
- One of the current trends in Software Testing with respect to the DevOps culture, has been the emergence of QAOps. QAOps is based on the fusion of DevOps and QA (Quality Assurance).
- The idea of QAOps rests on pushing the testing process into DevOps and allowing QA testers to work in tandem within developers.
Robotic Process Automation (RPA)
- Technologies are highly inter-linked and development in one sphere is bound to have an impact on other domains as well.
- Emerging technologies like Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Internet of Things, Cognitive Computing and so on, have all been responsible for positively propelling the case of Robotic Process Automation (RPA), which is gradually gaining ground as one of the significant Software Testing Trends.
- RPA can be understood as a form of automation technology which is based on the creation, deployment and management of metaphorical software robots which copy human action in their interaction with digital systems and software.
- As one of the key emerging trends in Software Testing, Robotic Process Automation can help in automating repetitive tasks in order to do away with human intervention. Thus, it reduces the burden of the tester.
- These software robots are able to comprehend the message on the screen, navigate systems, extract data, complete the right keystrokes as well as execute a large number of pre-defined actions.
- This is one of those Software Testing Industry Trends whose importance became all the more evident with the adoption of the DevOps culture.
- Test Automation is considered to be an important process in the DevOps model as it provides for Continuous Testing (CT) and Continuous Delivery (CD). This is possible because Automation Testing helps in launching multiple scripts which can be run at any hour. This facilitates testing of numerous configurations and systems in parallel and provides more room for in-depth manual testing.
- Automation Testing is also beneficial in terms of speeding up the release cycles, guaranteeing quality software delivery as well as increasing test coverage.
- Through resource optimization, it helps in reducing costs.
- Since Automation Testing entails the usage of Automation tools in the execution of test cases, the test results produced are held to be more reliable.
- The advent of popular Test Automation Tools like Selenium, TestComplete, Katalon and so on, have only helped in rendering Automation Testing more and more effective.
- In response to the rapid spurt in cases of cyber attacks and data breach, investment in Security Testing has evolved as one of the new trends in Software Testing.
- Security Testing might encompass quality testing of applications, security of software as well as protection from server attacks.
- Accordingly, Security Testing itself can be of different types like Penetration Testing, API Security Testing, Security Audits and so on.
- Security Testing is carried out with the objective of ensuring integrity, authorization, confidentiality, availability, non-repudiation and authentication.
- Security Testing is also directed towards the cloud environment which an organization might be using for testing and deployment.
- One of the rapidly growing and future trends in Software Testing is that of User Testing.
- Guaranteeing good user experience is one of the non-negotiable objectives of Software Testing. Accordingly, validating UX has evolved as one of the dominant trends in Software Testing.
- User Testing involves a strategy which is based on the involvement of real users as testers for testing the functions as well as the interface of applications, services and websites.
- This is one of the methods for acquiring valuable feedback from the end users themselves on how they feel about the product. This also helps in incorporating suggestions which could help in improving the product.
- The Internet of Things (IoT) can be understood to encompass the entire range of physical objects with processing ability, sensors, software and other technologies which connect and exchange data with other systems and devices over the Internet.
- The number of active IoT devices is continuously on the rise and the number is projected to be around 50 billion by 2030. This implies that IoT Testing has evolved as one of the latest trends in Software Testing.
- IoT ecosystems are extremely complex because of their intricately connected nature. This renders the need for testing these devices all the more important.
- IoT platform comprises of four components: data center, network communication, sensors, and application. While conducting IoT Testing, it will be important to outline a specific testing strategy for each of these elements.
- Success in IoT Testing is dependent on a reliable and secure network. It is required to be conducted by testers who are highly skilled and have considerable experience in testing embedded systems or hardware.
- Terms like Cryptocurrency, Blockchain Technology, Non-Fungible Token (NFTs), did emerge as raging buzzwords through 2021 and is likely to be in the forefront in years to come.
- While individuals have been earnestly pursuing these technologies in the hope of making huge profits; Blockchain Testing has emerged as one of the prime Software Testing Trends 2022.
- Transactions involving Cryptocurencies or NFTs are facilitated through the Blockchain technology. Moreover, they involve huge sums of money and as such ensuring its security is a must for safeguarding the financial assets of individuals across the globe.
- The overwhelming pressure on the service sector, pushed the need for instituting chatbots as front-line responders, to new heights.
- This was especially evident in the work from home culture which was given a push during the Covid pandemic. As remote working became a new norm, many companies adopted chatbot support for better user experience.
- This has evolved as one of the current as well as future trends in Software Testing as Chatbots became crucial in not only resolving queries, but also helping millions of people across sectors, by being available 24x7.
- Efficient functioning of chatbots entails the need for rigorous testing and is one of the core processes of Robotic Process Automation (RPA).
Big Data Testing
- As the significance of the Big Data is on the rise, the importance of Big Data and Analytics Testing is witnessing an upsurge too.
- Big Data Testing helps in ensuring data integrity in the process of transforming unstructured information into actionable business insights.
- As Big Data can be defined by five major characteristics: volume, value, velocity, variety and veracity; handling of such data entails the need for end to end testing in order deflect any chances of failure.
The field of technology is a highly dynamic one. The ever evolving technological innovations have had a huge impact on all fields and Software Testing is definitely one of them. This resulted in the emergence of newer and newer Software Testing Industry Trends. In this blog, we have looked at some of the current trends in Software Testing like DevOps and Automation Testing; as well as future trends in Software Testing like AI and RPA. On the whole, these Software Testing Trends are ones which are quite likely to rule the field of Testing in the time period designated. It will only be interesting to witness more and more new trends in years to come.