“The Bottom Line is that Automation Lowers the Risk of Human Error and adds some Intelligence to the Enterprise System” - Stephen Elliot
Software Testing is an inseparable component of the Software Development Lifecycle. While the process itself can be conducted in a Manual or an Automated fashion; the shortcomings of Manual Testing have increasingly pushed the demand for Automation Testing.
This means that there has been a simultaneous increase in the demand for Automation Testing Tools and of individuals who happen to be skilled in the operation of these Testing Tools.
A Selenium Tester is one such individual who happens to be competent in the execution of Selenium Testing with the help of Selenium. A Selenium Tester Job is to make use of Selenium as a predominant Test Automation Tool for conducting Software Testing in an automated manner.
In this blog, we will look at the role of a Selenium Tester in terms of his roles and responsibilities, by looking at a Selenium Tester Job Description as well as consider the highlights of a Selenium Tester Resume.
What is Selenium and Who is a Selenium Tester?
Selenium is a free, open-source Automation Testing Tool which is used for testing web applications across different platforms and browsers. The process of Selenium Testing embodies a single interface and allows the user to write test scripts in different programming languages like Java, Python, C#, Ruby, Perl, PHP and NodeJS. It is important to note that the Selenium Automation Tool can only be used to test web applications and not desktop or mobile applications.
For a more detailed understanding of the topic, refer to our blog on “What is Selenium?”
There has been a significant shift in the Software Development Lifecycle structure over the years. Increasing emphasis on continuous deployment has rendered it difficult to perform Manual Testing after every change. As businesses focus on rapid deployment and immediate outputs; Automation Testing has certainly gained ground.
Consequently, Selenium Testing has gradually evolved as a coveted domain within the field of Automation, given the advantages of Selenium as a Testing Tool. Thus a Selenium Tester Job is definitely a lucrative one, guaranteeing handsome Selenium Tester Salary packages.
In simple words, Selenium Testers are individuals who are competent in the execution of Selenium Testing. As a tester, this individual makes use of the Selenium Suite of Tools in order to conduct Automation Testing.
As per the Report by Zion Market Research, “the global test automation market was valued at approximately USD 15.87 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach approximately USD 54.98 billion by 2022, growing at a CAGR of 23.01% between 2017 and 2022”.
Selenium Tester Job Description
As you seek to build your Selenium Tester Resume, it is important to have a fair idea of what is generally expected from you as a tester by considering a sample Selenium Tester Job Description. Example:
Project Role: Selenium Tester
Project Role Description:
- Is competent in constructing, planning and executing test scripts
- Is able to apply functional and business knowledge, including testing guidelines methodology as well as testing standards for accomplishing the test objectives of the team
- Should ensure that test results are understandable and accessible
- Is able to identify defects to closure
Must Have Skills:
Test Automation Strategy, Automation Testing
- Functional/Business Requirements Analysis
- Creation of Automation Testing Strategy Framework
- Creation of Automation Test Scripts
- Reviewing the test results and reporting results
- Guiding the team members on technical issues
Do remember that the above mention Job Description is simply for reference purpose and will certainly differ from organization to organization. However, the purpose is to provide you with a fair idea of the expectations involved and what all a Selenium Tester Job entails. Having said that, let us move on to considering the key roles and responsibilities of a Selenium Tester.
Selenium Tester Roles and Responsibilities
In this section we will look at some of the key professional duties which form an integral part of Selenium Tester Jobs. The roles and responsibilities will be divided into different categories on the basis of the years of work experience of the Selenium Tester.
Selenium Tester Resume: 1+ Years Experience
- Should be able to analyze the Application Under Test (AUT) and comprehend test requirements
- Is involved in developing test cases using WebDriver API Commands and Selenium Element Locators
- Is responsible for debugging test cases, identifying errors and fixing them
- Is responsible for using Java programming for enhancing test cases
- Need to execute test cases
- Need to track and report defects
- Test Reporting
Selenium Tester Resume: 2+ Years Experience
- Is responsible for Test Automation Resources creation like Function Libraries
- Need to collect test data for the purpose of Data-Driven Testing
- Is required to handle dynamic and duplicate objects using Regular expressions and Index Property
- Synchronization, Parameterization and defining the results of test
- Executing tests and debugging them
- Test results analysis
- Need to track and report defects
- Test Reporting
- Test Modification and Execution of Regression Testing
Selenium Tester Resume: 3+ Years Experience
- Analyzing and Comprehending the Application Under Test in terms of Object Identification
- Detecting Code Modularity and End-to-End Scenarios
- Is responsible for the Collection of Test Data and Creation of Test Scenarios
- Is responsible for the Creation of Reusable Components
- Development of Automation Infrastructure and Implementation of TestNG or JUnit Automation framework
- Handling Errors and Parallel Test Execution
- Creation of Data-Driven Tests and Execution of Cross Browser Testing
- Test Result Analysis
- Exporting and Defining Test Results
- Resource Maintenance and Test Automation Resource Modification
Selenium Tester Resume: 4+ Years Experience
- Identification and Selection of Test Cases for Automation
- Execution of Test Automation Strategy
- Is responsible for Selecting appropriate Selenium Tools and Selenium Test Environment Configuration
- Setting Up Selenium Environment and Creation of Automation Test Plan
- Is responsible for the Creation, Organization and Management of Test Automation Resources
- Is responsible for the Creation, Enhancement, Debugging and Execution of Test Cases
- Execution of Regression Testing
- Resolving different technical issues
- Serving as a Channel of Communication between the Development team and the Testing team
- Interacting with end users in order to update status and resolve issues
Know everything about the position of a Selenium Tester; check out our blog on "Selenium Tester: Roles, Jobs, Resume, Salary"