“The Bottom Line is that Automation Lowers the Risk of Human Error and adds some Intelligence to the Enterprise System” - Stephen Elliot
Software Testing is an inseparable component of the Software Development Lifecycle. While the process itself can be conducted in a Manual or an Automated fashion; the shortcomings of Manual Testing has increasingly pushed the demand for Automation Testing. This means that there has been a simultaneous increase in the demand for Automation Testing Tools and of individuals who happen to be skilled in the operation of these Testing Tools. A Selenium Tester is one such individual who happen to be competent in the execution of Selenium Testing with the help of Selenium. A Selenium Tester Job is to make use of Selenium as a predominant Test Automation Tool for conducting Software Testing in an automated manner.
In this blog, we will look at the role of a Selenium Tester in terms of his roles and responsibilities, by looking at a Selenium Tester Job Description as well as consider the highlights of a Selenium Tester Resume.
- What is Selenium and Who is a Selenium Tester?
- Selenium Tester Job Description
- Selenium Tester Roles and Responsibilities
- Selenium Tester Resume: Skills Required
- Selenium Tester Jobs: Prospects and Salary Trends
- Points to Consider while Preparing your Selenium Automation Tester Resume
What is Selenium and Who is a Selenium Tester?
Selenium is a free, open-sourced Automation Testing Tool which is used for testing web applications across different platforms and browsers. The process of Selenium Testing embodies a single interface and allows the user to write test scripts in different programming languages like Java, Python, C#, Ruby, Perl, PHP and NodeJS. It is important to note that the Selenium Automation Tool can only be used to test web applications and not desktop or mobile applications.
For a more detailed understanding of the topic, refer to our blog on “What is Selenium?”
There has been a significant shift in the Software Development Lifecycle structure over the years. Increasing emphasis on continuous deployment has rendered it difficult to perform Manual Testing after every change. As businesses focus on rapid deployment and immediate outputs; Automation Testing has certainly gained ground. Consequently, Selenium Testing has gradually evolved as a coveted domain within the field of Automation, given the advantages of Selenium as a Testing Tool. Thus a Selenium Tester Job is definitely a lucrative one, guaranteeing handsome Selenium Tester Salary packages.
In simple words, a Selenium Tester is one who is competent in the execution of Selenium Testing. As a tester, this individual makes use of the Selenium Suite of Tools in order to conduct Automation Testing.
As per the Report by Zion Market Research, “the global test automation market was valued at approximately USD 15.87 billion in 2016 and is expected to reach approximately USD 54.98 billion by 2022, growing at a CAGR of 23.01% between 2017 and 2022”.
Selenium Tester Job Description
As you seek to build your Selenium Tester Resume, it is important to have a fair idea of what is generally expected from you as a tester by considering a sample Selenium Tester Job Description. Example:
Project Role: Selenium Tester
Project Role Description:
- Is competent in constructing, planning and executing test scripts
- Is able to apply functional and business knowledge, including testing guidelines methodology as well as testing standards for accomplishing the test objectives of the team
- Should ensure that test results are understandable and accessible
- Is able to identify defects to closure
Must Have Skills:
Test Automation Strategy, Automation Testing
- Functional/Business Requirements Analysis
- Creation of Automation Testing Strategy Framework
- Creation of Automation Test Scripts
- Reviewing the test results and reporting results
- Guiding the team members on technical issues
Do remember that the above mention Job Description is simply for reference purpose and will certainly differ from organization to organization. However, the purpose is to provide you with a fair idea of the expectations involved and what all a Selenium Tester Job entails. Having said that, let us move on to considering the key roles and responsibilities of a Selenium Tester.
Selenium Tester Roles and Responsibilities
In this section we will look at some of the key professional duties which form an integral part of Selenium Tester Jobs. The roles and responsibilities will be divided into different categories on the basis of the years of work experience of the Selenium Tester.
Selenium Tester Resume: 1+ Years Experience
- Should be able to analyze the Application Under Test (AUT) and comprehend test requirements
- Is involved in developing test cases using WebDriver API Commands and Selenium Element Locators
- Is responsible for debugging test cases, identifying errors and fixing them
- Is responsible for using Java programming for enhancing test cases
- Need to execute test cases
- Need to track and report defects
- Test Reporting
Selenium Tester Resume: 2+ Years Experience
- Is responsible for Test Automation Resources creation like Function Libraries
- Need to collect test data for the purpose of Data-Driven Testing
- Is required to handle dynamic and duplicate objects using Regular expressions and Index Property
- Synchronization, Parameterization and defining the results of test
- Executing tests and debugging them
- Test results analysis
- Need to track and report defects
- Test Reporting
- Test Modification and Execution of Regression Testing
Selenium Tester Resume: 3+ Years Experience
- Analyzing and Comprehending the Application Under Test in terms of Object Identification
- Detecting Code Modularity and End-to-End Scenarios
- Is responsible for the Collection of Test Data and Creation of Test Scenarios
- Is responsible for the Creation of Reusable Components
- Development of Automation Infrastructure and Implementation of TestNG or JUnit Automation framework
- Handling Errors and Parallel Test Execution
- Creation of Data-Driven Tests and Execution of Cross Browser Testing
- Test Result Analysis
- Exporting and Defining Test Results
- Resource Maintenance and Test Automation Resource Modification
Selenium Tester Resume: 4+ Years Experience
- Identification and Selection of Test Cases for Automation
- Execution of Test Automation Strategy
- Is responsible for Selecting appropriate Selenium Tools and Selenium Test Environment Configuration
- Setting Up Selenium Environment and Creation of Automation Test Plan
- Is responsible for the Creation, Organization and Management of Test Automation Resources
- Is responsible for the Creation, Enhancement, Debugging and Execution of Test Cases
- Execution of Regression Testing
- Resolving different technical issues
- Serving as a Channel of Communication between the Development team and the Testing team
- Interacting with end users in order to update status and resolve issues
Selenium Automation Tester Resume: Skills Required
The skills and competencies required of a Selenium Tester may be accounted for in terms of his years of work experience. However, in general, a Selenium Tester Job is based on the exercise of certain foundational skills like:
- Knowledge of Programming Languages and Framework Designing
A Selenium Tester is expected to exhibit expertise in coding in different programming languages like Java, C#, Perl, Python, XML, SQL as well as CSS and HTML.
- Proficiency in Manual Testing
Since Selenium is one of the predominant Test Automation Tools, knowledge of Selenium Testing, invariably implies expertise in Automation Testing. However, it is equally important that as a tester you should be competent in performance of Manual Testing as well.
- Ability to Create Test Scripts
Selenium Tester Jobs entail an in-depth knowledge of Selenium WebDriver which could help in the development of test scripts.
- A Selenium Tester should have excellent communication skills, the required ability to troubleshoot issues and should be able to think creatively
Selenium Tester Jobs: Prospects and Salary Trends
Any discussion about Automation Testing Tools is incomplete without the mention of Selenium. It has arisen as one of the most popular and in-demand Test Automation Tools. Consequently, the demand for a Selenium Tester is simultaneously on the rise and is only going to increase in the near future.
Selenium as a domain can boast of diverse job roles of which the position of a Selenium Tester is definitely a coveted one. Additionally, one can also aim for positions of a Selenium Automation Engineer, Selenium Test Analyst, Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET), Mobile Testing Lead, and so on.
Software Testing guarantees some of the most promising jobs across the world. Moreover, since Selenium has emerged as a household name within the domain of Automation Testing; mastering the same has become a necessity for a Test Automation Engineer. The median salary in the U.S. for a Selenium Tester ranges from $62,509 to $100,971, approximately per annum. The average pay is around $83,200 per year. It is evident that a Selenium Automation Tester Salary is quite a lucrative one. Moreover, since the Test Automation market itself is expected to rapidly expand in the coming years; the career prospects of a Selenium Tester are endless.
Points to Consider while Preparing your Selenium Automation Tester Resume
It is indeed difficult to point at one single perfect example of a Selenium Tester Resume. However, there are definitely certain key aspects and components which should definitely make it to you resume if you happen to be aspiring for the role of a Selenium Tester.
There are certain skills which should necessarily be highlighted in a Selenium Automation Tester Resume.
- Knowledge of Programming Languages
- Experience in Manual Testing
- Mastery of Selenium, along with some other Test Automation Tools
- Excellent Communication, Time Management, Reporting and Analytical Skills
- Understanding of Agile and DevOps Methodologies
- Familiarity with Hands-On Business Requirements
- Knowledge of Test Management Tools
While there is no definite chronology which applies for all resumes alike; however, while drafting a Selenium Tester Resume, you can roughly refer to this flowchart.
- Identity Details
- Career Objective
- Professional Summary (This would highlight your Experience in the field of Automation Testing in general and Selenium in particular)
- Technical Skills (This can include an elaboration of your knowledge of Programming Languages, Databases, Automation Tools, Operating Systems, Build Tools, Bug Tracking Tools)
- Work Experience (Your past professional involvement in other Companies)
- Roles and Responsibilities (This would include an explanation of the past designations held and key duties fulfilled in response to those positions)
- Projects Handled (This section can be wisely used in order to highlight your involvement in key projects as an active contributor to the field of Selenium)
- Professional Qualification
- Professional Training
- Personal Details
By the end of this blog, I am sure that you must have not only developed a fair idea of who is a Selenium Tester, but also would be convinced of the overwhelming advantages which accompany a Selenium Tester Job. Besides a handsome Selenium Automation Tester Salary, Selenium Tester Jobs command a lion’s share of the Automation Testing market.
For someone aspiring for the position of a Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET), knowledge of Selenium is almost considered to be a technical necessity. We, at Syntax Technologies, provide you with the dual benefit of developing expertise in the field of SDET as well as acquire hands-on experience in handling prominent Automation Tools like Selenium. Enrol now for our SDET Training course.